Thursday, June 6, 2013

Pad Thai



I don't know about you, but I love some good Thai food. Really, just about any kind of Asian food is good. My all time favorite, Pad Thai. The saltiness of the peanuts and sauce, mixed with the fresh lime and cilantro. Simply, amazing. Sadly, I cannot remember the first time I ever had Pad Thai, but I do remember the first time I had it at Pei Wei. Life changing! It was so delicious and the portion was big enough to make two meals out of it! I would eat there at least once a week if I could. Since we do not have the money for that, and eating at home is always a healthier option, I decided to try a recipe I found on Pinterest. It turned out way better than I expected and it was so simple! I have always thought of Pad Thai as this really intricate and  complex dish. I guess that is why I have waited so long to try this recipe. I'm glad I finally did.

Chicken Pad Thai 

1 1/2-2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-2 inch strips (cut them kind of thin)
1- 8oz box Thai kitchen brown rice noodles (these will be in the Asian isle)
4 Tbsp brown sugar
6 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
4 Tbsp lime juice (I used the bottled lime juice and it tasted fine, but fresh would work too)
1/2 tsp hot sauce
3 eggs, well beaten
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 green onions chopped, whites and greens separated. Whites chopped thin, greens cut into 2 inch strips.
1 lime, cut into wedges
Small handful fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped

1. In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, soy sauce, lime juice and hot sauce. Set aside and stir occasionally to help sugar dissolve. You want to it to be dissolved before you add it to the pan.
2. Fill a large pot with water, boil and add your noodles. Set a timer for 4 minutes. If they cook too long, they will be mushy. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
3. While you wait for the water to boil, heat a wok, or large non-stick pan over medium heat and add some oil. Saute' chicken until cooked. Transfer to a plate.
4. Using the same pan, add a little more oil. Add garlic and onion whites and saute' for about 30 seconds, just until fragrant.
5. Add in your eggs and scramble them with the onion and garlic. Once the eggs are cooked, transfer to a plate and set aside
6. Once again, in the same pan, add your drained noodles, onion greens and sauce to the pan. Stir it around and let cook for about a minute. Turn the heat down to medium-low.
7. Add in the reserved chicken and scrambled eggs and stir to coat. Cook another minute or two, just until the eggs and chicken are heated through.
8. Garnish with peanuts and cilantro. Squeeze a lime wedge over and mix well. Enjoy!

Here is the original recipe that I followed. I changed a few things to my liking and I doubled this recipe.
http://browniesfordinner.com/2010/05/11/easy-pad-thai/



1 comment: